Re: Re: Re: LSB bastards

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 04:44:16PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > Debian won't be only a matter of GNU/Linux in a near future:
> > GNU (Hurd), GNU/BSD, GNU/Win32 so perhaps adhering to the "Linux Standard Base"
> > will stop making sense...
>
> i always thought LSB was misguided for this very reason, why should
> the BSD's be excluded? (of course there is already a standard its
> called POSIX but anyway). then again all the LSB is for is proprietary
> crap, i myself could not give less of a damn about such things.

The problem of the LSB is that they want "Linux" to mean a whole (binary)
operating system, while it is only a kernel and specific binaries.  Now they
are taking the GNU system with the Linux kernel, some bits that were added by
various people (distributions, linux application developers) and try to
specify what Linux is supposed to mean beside the kernel and its
applications.

Neither the BSD systems nor the GNU system are grown this way.  I see no
need for an LSB for the GNU system.  Consistency is achieved by consistent
programming, coding standards and a strong community.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de