Re: [FHS] /usr/info

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Joey Hess wrote:

> Well base-files already has some code for dealing with /usr/share/info
> already existing, but if it decides to install the stub dir file, it
> puts it in /usr/info. So it will eventually need to be fixed. It also
> has a /usr/info dir in the package, which dpkg does not.

base-files can't install the dir file in /usr/share/info until we are
completely sure that there are no packages using install-info's --infodir
option in a hardcoded way (I think there were still some of them in potato).

I will gladly make base-files to install the dir file in /usr/share/info,
but it would have to depend on a dpkg version whose install-info ignores
the --infodir option when /usr/info is the argument; again, to prevent
a disaster when upgrading from old Debian releases.