Re: LSB bastards

>> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@debian.org> writes:

 > But the resulting .deb when used with dpkg will be non-conformant at
 > least.. Aside from the standard troubles with .rpm conversions (file
 > depends! Ick!)

 LSB packages are allowed to depend on "lsb".  Nothing else.  That
 hideous misfeature of RPM can't be used by a LSB conformant package.

 > the version comparison function is different, we don't do versioned
 > provides, our semantics for dependencies on virtual packages are
 > different, we have different installation order rules, etc.

 The specification says explicitly that packages might not depend on the
 order of execution of scripts and that they can't use RPM triggers.
 Other than this, packages seem free to use any RPM feature they need
 (dunno what that might mean).

 > Heck, as specified by the LSB the rpm 'lets install foo 1.0 *AND* foo
 > 1.1 at the same time' trick is supported - we don't do that either.

 They seem to have overlooked this.

--
Marcelo             | "Pets are always a great help in times of stress. And
mmagallo@debian.org | in times of starvation too, o'course."