Re: Potato upgrade and menus

I sent the following message to -devel, with a cc to you. I haven't heard
anything back from you.

I don't have any idea of how to make this work, and could use some help
debuging the problem.

I set /etc/menu-methods/menu.config up with verbosity=debug and
method=syslog, so I now have a log of update-menus actions. (I can send
you a copy on request)

This is rather strange. Many entries in the file read like:

Reading menuentryfile /us/lib/menu/xpdf

with another "Reading" entry right after it. None of these entries get
into the menu, while others look like:

Reading menuentryfile /usr/lib/menu/python-base
translate: var[Apps/Programming] testing trans rule match for:Apps/Games/
ADDING: command="/usr/bin/python" meeds="text" package="python-base" section="Apps/Programming" title-"Python"

and there is an entry for each of these items.

I looked at several of the "failures", and can find success files (in
/usr/lib/menu) that match the syntax of the failed files.

I moved the spider menu file into /etc/menu/spider and got the following
entries in the log:

Reading menuentryfile /etc/menu/spider
Reading menuentryfiles in /usr/lib/menu/
Reading menuentryfile /usr/lib/ment/procps

and no menu entry for Games, much less spider...

Can you give me any insight into why update-menus is passing on creating
entries for programs that, before the upgrade, were found and used just
fine?

Waiting is,

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> My sparc was recently upgraded to the current Potato version, and I've
> lost many of my menu items in X!
>
> On the main menu, Games is missing, even though I still have spider
> installed. On the Apps submenu, Viewers is gone, although I still have gs,
> gv, and xpf installed. I can execute any of these from an xterm, but they
> do not appear on the menu.
>
> I can run menu-update but still don't get these menu entries to display.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Dwarf
> --
> _-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-
> _- aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (850) 656-9769     _-
> _-       Flexible Software              11000 McCrackin Road          _-
> _-       e-mail:  dwarf@polaris.net     Tallahassee, FL  32308        _-
> _-_-_-_-_-  Released under the GNU Free Documentation License   _-_-_-_-
>               available at: http://www.polaris.net/~dwarf/
>

> --

Dwarf