Re: php4 not in testing

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 04:53:49AM +0200 , Russell Coker wrote:
> On Thursday 07 June 2001 18:00, Petr Cech wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 04:18:24PM +0200 , Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> > > Eventually, we found a setup that worked:
> > >
> > >     extension=mhash.so
> > >     extension=imap.so
> > >     extension=ldap.so
> > >     extension=xml.so
> > >     extension=mysql.so
> > >     extension=gd.so
> > >     #extension=mcal.so
> > >     extension=domxml.so
> > >     extension=snmp.so
> > >     extension=pgsql.so
> > >

> Why is this?  Why can't it just work?

do I know?

> If making one big libphp4.so that provides everything is the solution to
> these problems then I think that is what has to be done.

I already see people screaming, that a tiny php4 pulls in 30MB worth of
libraries.

> The current state of PHP4 is very fragile, if there is any viable

have you looked at the number or libraries, it links to? I don't link to
c-client dynamicly, because it simply segfault on first use. Dunno, where is
the bug, probably in the library. So, I could do it with all the module, but
you get a 500kB module of pgsql, instead of a 20kB one, with the standard
problems of staticly linked packages

> alternative then I think that we should not release software in that
> state.  PHP3 is a very viable alternative and works fine.  It seems that
> most PHP software will with with either version.

there are some usefull functions added in 4.0.4 and 4.0.5. There will be
4.0.6 shortly, but it cannot solve conflicting libraries :((

> Also could you please change the description of the packages to mention
> that PHP4 is more fragile than PHP3.  Otherwise people will just assume

it is, because it changes. php3 was not touched upstream for half a year

> that a bigger number means that the software will work better for them...

it mostly does. you know, never touch a running system

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz

<sgore> "Debian - 3 million penguins can't be wrong."