Personal learning project

Hi all,
I'm looking for a small package/programme to play around with.
I know:
HTML (I build a few websites for companys now and then)
python (the first language I learnt properly and I know well)
C (I know quite well but still only beginner/average)
C++ (quite basic knowledge)
Java (Same quite basic knowledge again)
pascal (I know a bit of but the lack of things to do ment I got bored and found C far better)
I know a few other things but only very basic (hello world kind of thing)

So I've been looking through the source packages looking for some thing suitable to play around and experiment with but due to the HUGE amount of source code I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions. (also is there any languages I should learn for linux programming, and where to find info+tutorials on any)

Thanks, Daniel (I hope this is the corrert mail group for this message if not please say which is)

P.S. Is there any common GUI for pgp? (as I just downloaded pgp & gunpg) I've seen a few encription options on other programmes here and there but not a specific pgp GUI. (If there is non may well be added to the list of projects to do when I have time and experience)