Re: /etc getting big

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 08:38:30AM +0300, Jukka Neppius wrote:
> Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:
>
> > On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 01:09:20PM +0300, Jukka Neppius wrote:
> > >
> > > I understand old Unix idea was that '/' has files needed to bring
> > > system up to single user state, mount /usr and restore backups.
> > >
> > > So for example /etc/X11 would not belong to /etc.  Most modules would
> > > go into /usr/lib not into /lib.  I think it is good to have all
> > > configuration files in one place.  Perhaps /usr/config ?
> >
> > no.
> >
> > please read the FHS, http://www.pathname.com/fhs
>
> After quick read it seems to me that moving /etc/X11 to /var/config/
> and linking it to /etc would not would not be against FHS.

read it again,  FHS last i checked said nothing about /var/config,
randomly adding crap under /var is not permitted.  /var/lib/X11 would
be allowed but configuration files are not supposed to go there.
system wide configuration files go in /etc.  deal with it.

now if we talk about things that are in /etc/ but are not
configuration files then they should be moved to either /usr/share if
they are static, or /var/lib/ perhaps if they are variable by still
not really config files.

> '/' should only have files needed to bring system up to single user
> state, mount /usr and restore backups.

and hold system wide configuration files, thats what the FHS says so
take it up with them.  i mostly agree with you, but i don't see a
problem with /etc as it is currently defined.  having /etc directories
all over the place is not appealing to me.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/