Re: [RFC] apt-localepurge - automagically removing unnecessary locale files

dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org (David Starner) writes:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 04:00:10AM +0200, Paul Seelig wrote:
> > apt installation run.  It uses the dpkg "Post-Invoke" function to
> > execute the script "/usr/sbin/apt-localepurge", which automagically
> > deletes the LC_MESSAGES subdir of every single locale as defined in
> > "/etc/locale.purge".  You have to manually uncomment (or add) the
> > locale directory names you want to be regularily cleaned after each
> > apt installation run in this configuration file.
>
> Listing the locales you want to purge seems like the wrong direction;
> you should list the locales you want to save. Perhaps save the locales
> in locale.gen & locale.save (since you may have files for non-libc
> locales you want to save)?

Hmm, i'd feel *much* saver explicitly deleting *only* what i
consciously defined as deletable. ;-)

An option might be to delete the locale files based on a list
generated from "/etc/locale.gen".  But since this is a quite new
locale config file it wouldn't be working this way under potato or any
other prior Debian releases.  I'll think about it.

                                Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   ------------ Paul Seelig <pseelig@mail.uni-mainz.de> -------------