Re: How to make Packages file 50% smaller

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 12:00:00AM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> > You'd need a separate description file which you should download in
> > any case (or read from a cd) whenever the Packages file changes.
>
> Is that a problem? Doesn't seem problematic to me...

Can you spell backward compatibility? If you feel the need for such a
feature, you can do it with a Packages.stripped file or whatever, without
stomping on other peoples feet. You seem to have no clue about what tools
actually make use of the Packages file. You have already showed your
ignorance with the Status file, too.
Also please note that the Packages file format doesn't have a version number.

In any way, how you can think that changing Packages and having a new mechanism
to get the old info rather than introducing a new mechanism to do what you want
escapes me.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de