Re: How to make Packages file 50% smaller

:-> "Brian" == Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

    > I can't think of any useful role this long description serves to
    > apt-get, other then displaying of package information for users (with
    > apt-cache), in which case, you could use
    > <URL:http://packages.debian.org/$package instead>.

yeah, so I have to be networked each and every time I need to browse
the list of packages looking for something...

Please, keep in mind that there are people around that use Debian on
laptops, home computers with an expensive dialup connection, or simply
non-networked computers.

You'd need a separate description file which you should download in
any case (or read from a cd) whenever the Packages file changes.

Pf

 Pierfrancesco Caci | ik5pvx | mailto:p.caci@tin.it  -  http://gusp.dyndns.org
  Firenze - Italia  | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.4.2 #4 Sat Feb 24 11:11:48 CET 2001 i686 unknown