Re: detect wrong processor speed?

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 01:39:48PM -0500, nathanp@iosphere.net wrote:
> has anyone had this problem?  with kernel 2.4.1 and up (i think for kernel 2.4.0 too, can't remember) on my thinkpad 600x my kernel reports:
>
> 	Detected 172.927 MHz processor.
>
> although i know it's a 650MHz processor and is detected as such under 2.2.18pre22?  it feels to me to be running at the proper speed, but with linux's awesome multitasking capabilities, maybe i just can't tell ;-)  anyway, i haven't compiled the tpctl modules or installed them, so i haven't played with the fact that the kernel is reporting some speedstepped speed, and i'm not running full speed.
>
> is this a common bug that i should ignore, or am i running under speed?
>
> nathanp.

I have a Toshiba 2775XDVD with a 650 MHz Speedstep processor.  I am able to switch CPU speeds using Fn+F-something.  If your processor is a Speestep also, you will theoretically be able to switch processing speeds while the box is still running.  If your processor doesn't have this feature, or your laptop doesn't have that key combination, then you (appear to be) on your own :o)
	--xsdg

/$perl -le '$_="6110>374086;2064208213:90<307;55";\ \
\>tr[0->][ LEOR!AUBGNSTY];print'                    /
/    http://xsdg.hypermart.net|xsdg@softhome.net    \