Re: XEmacs and LDAP

    Dave> It would be nice to have, but is it good to have a library
    Dave> dependency for all other users of emacs who doesn't want or
    Dave> need LDAP?

xemacs21-bin and xemacs21-mule in unstable already depend on
libopenldap1????

Even if this was not the case, I don't see what the problem
is. libldap2 is only 484k...

(its small, unlike stable X libraries, and contains new stuff, not
obsolete, unlike the requests I have got to support Kerberos 4 in
Heimdal).

Other packages already depend on it anyway, according to "apt-cache
showpkg libldap2":

Reverse Depends:
  libnss-ldap,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  libpam-ldap,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  libldap2-dev,libldap2 2.0.7-2
  postfix-tls,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  xemacs21-nomule,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  xemacs21-mule-canna-wnn,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  xemacs21-mule,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  xemacs21-bin,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  slapd,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  sendmail-wide,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  sendmail,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  postfix,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  php4-ldap,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  php3-ldap,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  php3-cgi-ldap,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  netsaint-plugins-extra,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  libpam-ldap,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  libnss-ldap,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  libldap2-dev,libldap2 2.0.7-2
  libldap-ruby,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  libapache-auth-ldap,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  ldap-utils,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  ldap-gateways,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  kdebase-libs,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  gq,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  exim,libldap2 2.0.2-2
  evolution,libldap2 2.0.2-2

In turn, other packages depend on items in the above list, eg imp
depends on php?.ldap (IIRC).

So, please make LDAP the default for the Debian package.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>