Re: ITP: Galeon -- Mozilla-based web browser with GNOME look and feel

On 01 Mar 2001 23:35:14 +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >> Frank Belew <frb@ximian.com> writes:
>
>  > Sorry, but mozilla is a little difficult to put into main now that
>  > there is crypto code and I really don't think we want to put
>  > everything that even wants to recommend mozilla, let alone depends on
>  > it into non-US
>
>  Uhm...  what does that mean? That you are working on splitting/removing
>  the crypto out of mozilla or that you won't upload mozilla because, as
>  it is now, it would have to move to non-US along with the packages that
>  depend/recommend it?  AFAIU, there's no legal problem for you as a US
>  citizen because Mozilla is free, and it's not a problem for the
>  packages (modulo galeon and the like), because Mozilla is not the only
>  web browser out there.  And I see no problem with uploading something
>  to non-US/main, that's Debian, too.
>
> --
> Marcelo

First off, the crypto is in the source, and if I removed it, people
would bitch even louder since they wouldn't have the PSM, which is one
of the biggest advantages to 0.7 and later.
Second, look at what depends on mozilla....
Galeon, SkipStone, Nautilus, probably others...
You want to move all of this to non-US ?
I don't think non-US has the computing power, nor the bandwidth to
handle the building, and downloads of all these very popular packages.
Do we even have autobuilders for non-US?

And yes, I have improved the packaging A LOT, you can get primitive
packages of 0.7 from ximian's gnome 1.4 beta
No, I won't move these somewhere else, because I don't feel they are
debian quality, let alone even close to being lintian clean enough to
even get past the ftp masters.

Now, I have more work to do on mozilla packaging, and my regularly
scheduled life.

--
Frank