Re: Need advice regarding libc6, libdb2, exim, potato und sid

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 12:20:59 -0500 (EST), Richard A Nelson
<cowboy@debian.org> wrote:
>On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Marc Haber wrote:
>> I am talking potato, and I don't want to do a libc update on my potato
>> boxes.
>
>Ok, got the versions wrong, but the point remains - you *must* build
>with the libc6 provided db/ndbm etc

So libdb2 is depending on the version of libc6 installed, and a libdb2
update must be done with a libc6 update?

>> > *) Build without libc6-dev-2.2.13 using simply /usr/include/{ndbm,db}.h
>>
>> /usr/include/db.h comes from libc6-dev-2.1
>
>Ok, so exim is building properly

Yes.

>> The segfault happens when exim is calling a library function that
>> wants to access the service list via db call. When I change "services:
>> db files" to "files" in /etc/nsswitch.conf, exim compiled with the
>> backported libdb2-dev works.
>
>Exactly what I saw with sendmail, way back when...  Does exim include
>libldap, libsasl, or other toys that may also include db?

Yes, it links to libldap and libsasl. It looks like this was the cause
of the problem since I backported cyrus-sasl and openldap2 to potato
and blindly satisfied the build-depends of these packages. I re-built
them without the wrongfully backported libdb2-dev, re-built exim, and
I now have a test host running my backported exim with "services: db
files" in /etc/nsswitch.conf and no db error messages in the exim log.

Thanks for your debugging help. Now I need to understand what I just
did ;)

Greetings
Marc