Re: Need advice regarding libc6, libdb2, exim, potato und sid

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:25:09 -0500 (EST), Richard A Nelson
> <cowboy@debian.org> wrote:
> >I'd try this:
> > *) Check all dependancies for exim, and make sure they're using the
> >    db2 libraries supplied with libc6-dev-2.2.13 - especially if exim
> >    builds with sasl or ldap...  But note that even nscd can screw you
> >    over.
>
> I am talking potato, and I don't want to do a libc update on my potato
> boxes.

Ok, got the versions wrong, but the point remains - you *must* build
with the libc6 provided db/ndbm etc

> > *) Build without libc6-dev-2.2.13 using simply /usr/include/{ndbm,db}.h
>
> /usr/include/db.h comes from libc6-dev-2.1

Ok, so exim is building properly

> > *) strace the resultant binary if it still fails
>
> The segfault happens when exim is calling a library function that
> wants to access the service list via db call. When I change "services:
> db files" to "files" in /etc/nsswitch.conf, exim compiled with the
> backported libdb2-dev works.

Exactly what I saw with sendmail, way back when...  Does exim include
libldap, libsasl, or other toys that may also include db?  what does
ldd of the exim binary say (are there two different libdb references?)

--
Rick Nelson
"What does this tell me?  That if Microsoft were the last software