Re: sipp: Can this package be removed?

> > > I agree on this one: there's no reasen to remove a package unless it

> > I don't agree.  Every package causes some overhead in our system,

> FWIW I also think unmaintained packages have no place in Debian, whether
> they have users or not. If the package needs to exist _somewhere_, there's
> plenty of places on the Internet where people can put stuff. Having it in
> Debian requires effort...

I can accept both points here.  One solution would be to create a new
section, like unstable, testing, stable, called 'unmaintained'.  Packages
without a maintainer could be moved to here, and moved out again as soon as a
maintainer is found.

That way Debian doesn't have to worry about cruft (the real distributions
don't contain any) while users don't have to worry about the packages
suddenly dissapearing from the archives.

However it does involve creating a new section which is generally a 'bad
thing' (TM).

Comments?

Corrin Lakeland