Re: sipp: Can this package be removed?

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 11:43:45AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> I agree on this one: there's no reasen to remove a package unless it has
> been proven that it doesn't work. You can never be sure that noone uses
> the package, even if you don't get bugreports.

I don't agree.  Every package causes some overhead in our system,
not just technically but in terms of time and effort from people
who look after the whole distribution in some way.  Unmaintained
packages tend to take more of that time and effort than others.

Removing unmaintained packages is a good way to get rid of junk.
It should be done early in a release cycle, so that there is ample
time for someone who wants to keep the package to pick up maintenance.

This leaves the situation where a package is popular but _none_
of its users wants to maintain it.  Well, in that case some of
them should get off their asses and draw straws or something.
If the package really doesn't need maintenance, then being
its maintainer will not be much work.

Richard Braakman