Re: sipp: Can this package be removed?

John Galt wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
>
> >Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >> I have the opposite opinion: I don't know if some people use it, and
> >> that's a reason why I prefer keeping it over removing it (as long as
> >> there's not a good reason why to remove it).
> >
> >If a package is removed from the FTP archive, it will of course not be
> >removed from the machines of users using it. I think a package that no
>
> I really don't like this line of thought.  If it's removed from Debian by
> allowing the excuse that it doesn't actually impact the users because they
> still have the binaries from the time of removal, there are some ugly
> consequences that entail.  Firstly, it DOES impact the users: they get
> used to foo and it makes the learning curve that much harder for bar.
> Secondly, it violates the POLS for re-installation: think of the guy who
> has a floppy with his optimal selection set and replicates it over as many
> computers as he installs Debian to.  SURPRISE!  One day his package disk
> doesn't work: one or two of his selections got removed from Debian.  I've
> always been bothered by using an argument of "it won't hurt THAT much":
> it'll either be completely painless or it'll hurt.  If it hurts, it'll
> hurt like HELL: when you get a trivial injury, have you ever thought to
> yourself "this doesn't hurt THAT much"?

  yes, but despite that I strongly support your position on removal of
packages - unless the package is hurting by its existence it should not
be removed. generally. packages should not be removed unless there is a
good reason.

> >developer using it wants to maintain should be removed.
>
> You're right here, but for the wrong reasons.  Basically, I see it as a
> pressure tactic: if you don't like the way things are, change them.  If
> you need/want a package, either find somebody to maintain it or maintain
> it yourself.  The really important packages won't stay dead long, and the

  there are also some orphaned packages maintained by ??? (I forgot?
qa?)

	erik