Re: Correct method for aborting package installation from maintainer scripts

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 03:31:34PM -0800, Stephen Zander wrote:

>     Matt> However, there exists a package Y, which depends on the
>     Matt> library X.  It, too, has the problem of not being able to
>     Matt> read older files if X is upgraded.  Y has the same upstream
>     Matt> source as X, and they must be the same version in order to
>     Matt> work.
>
> Pre-depend Y on a specific version of X.  Then you're guaranteed of
> having X correctly installed before Y can do anything.

I don't think this will work, according to policy:

However, when a package declaring a Pre-dependency is being unpacked the
predependency can be satisfied even if the depended-on package(s) are only
unpacked or half-configured, provided that they have been configured correctly
at some point in the past (and not removed or partially removed since). In this
case both the previously-configured and currently unpacked or half-configured
versions must satisfy any version clause in the Pre-Depends field.

==
so, the unconfigured (but unpacked) upgraded version of X would satisfy the
pre-dependency.

--
 - mdz