Re: RFC: mingw32 cross compiler in Debian

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 01:07:55AM -0800, Ron wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 08:20:28PM -0800, Bradley Bell wrote:
> > I'm already working on the cygwin cross-compiler.  it is able to produce
> > both cygwin binaries (depend on cygwin.dll) and mingw32 binaries (do not
> > depend on cygwin.dll), simply by setting the compiler flag -mno-cygwin.
> > There may be cases where a pure mingw32 compiler would be better, in which
> > case a separate mingw32 package would be fine.  But you should make sure it
> > will really be necessary.
>
> As I mentioned in private mail, let me know your status on this..
>
> I currently have a functioning package using the most recent sources,
> and have sucessfully compiled and run goodbye_windows.c with it.
>
> I still have to attend to the administrivia before it's suitable to
> upload, (correct copyright files and description etc. and a readme
> outlining how to build .exe's with it would probably be helpful too)
> and it would be nice if I could get it out of /usr/<target> and
> into somewhere more complient with the fhs and policy, but I currently
> have no idea how to do that without some horrid acrobatics, or if
> gcc will even let me do it without needing environment vars everytime
> it is used (which to me seems awful)
>
> If anyone knows how to do this, please clue me in.

I think gcc and friends can cope with putting it wherever you like, just use
the appropriate --prefix (perhaps /usr/share/<target>), but the --exec-prefix
should still be /usr.

> I do need this package in a hurry, and I have most of the hard work done
> now, but I also don't want to tread on your itp/ita rudely, so let me know
> what you think we should do..

I'd say go ahead and do it.  My cygwin stuff, which can be found here:
http://people.debian.org/~btb/cygwin/
does not yet build with debian's gcc source package, and I haven't had much
luck with -mno-cygwin yet anyway.

-brad