Re: Bugs about new upstream versions

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 01:24:21PM +1100, Sam Johnston wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, David Starner wrote:
>
> > It's also extremely annoying to have
> > a package that you're forced to hand-compile because the Debian package
> > is being competently handled, especially when you're willing to take over
> > the package.
>
> agreed. I regularly find myself hand compiling packages that aren't up to
> date. I'd be tempted to talk about the time it takes to package a new
> release in days or weeks rather than months too, especially given the
> length of the NM queue - if keeping up with releases isn't possible than
> maybe packages should be handed over to someone else. Is there a policy on
> this (yet)?

Be realistic.  Some of us are perfectly competent to maintain our
packages, but swamped in other work - in fact, I'd guess, most of us.
A reminder never hurts; even if I knew the new version was out already
(for instance, I found out about bitchx 1.0c18 a few weeks after its
release, and then received a wishlist bug about it today) it tells me
that someone has a good reason to want the new version.  That makes it
a lot more likely to get done.

Dan