Re: Bugs about new upstream versions

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, David Starner wrote:

> It's also extremely annoying to have
> a package that you're forced to hand-compile because the Debian package
> is being competently handled, especially when you're willing to take over
> the package.

agreed. I regularly find myself hand compiling packages that aren't up to
date. I'd be tempted to talk about the time it takes to package a new
release in days or weeks rather than months too, especially given the
length of the NM queue - if keeping up with releases isn't possible than
maybe packages should be handed over to someone else. Is there a policy on
this (yet)?

It's even more annoying when these hand compiled packages provide
dependencies (ie hand compiling qmail the other day and finding I couldn't
install mailx because it wanted an MTA - is there a way around this?).

 - samj