Re: Package Reorganisations

-devel Cc'ed

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 01:26:57PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
>     Anthony> The soname change (which makes packages depending on
>     Anthony> libssl09 uninstallable) means all the packages across all
>     Anthony> architectures that use ssl have to be added to testing
>     Anthony> simultaneously or else something will break, which is
>     Anthony> what testing tries to avoid.
> hmmm... But libssl09 is still available:
>  libssl09 |    0.9.4-5 |        stable | alpha, arm, i386, m68k, powerpc, sparc
>  libssl09 |    0.9.4-5 |       testing | alpha, arm, i386, m68k, powerpc, sparc

You'll note it's not available in unstable though, and that libssl09
is built from openssl sources. So if libssl09 were to remain in woody
when openssl is updated, it'll no longer be buildable from source, which
would be bad. Hence if openssl gets updated, libssl09 will be removed,
just like it is in unstable.

> I am not sure what would break, as even if "libssl096" and "libssl09"
> conflict with each other (they don't), where is it specified that
> programs that use these two different libraries should be installable
> at the same time?

No, there's no issue due to that.

Cheers,
aj