Re: FHS compliance and UNIX sockets

    Tollef> Well, it's not responsible for creating /tmp/user, but to
    Tollef> avoid embarrasing situations when it doesn't exist, it
    Tollef> creates it.  Anyhow, as Adam Heath proposed, it should go
    Tollef> into a pam module.  pam_env for setting TMPDIR and TMP and
    Tollef> some pam_mkdir for creating the directory.

Seems a good solution for most cases.

It may not work for Kerberos telnet logins though when libpam-heimdal
is used (see bug #78186 - unfortunately I don't know enough about PAM
to know what is wrong here).

Oh, but I would only have one module do both tasks - that way if you ever
want to change the naming scheme, eg to

/tmp/user/b/bam

as some people suggested, you only have to change one module.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>