Re: FHS compliance and UNIX sockets

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 02:51:11PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> I don't think my temporary files should be deleted automagically,
> since I do store files in ~/tmp myself, which I'd like to remove
> myself as well.  Having some tmp reaper do it for me is the wrong
> thing.  Others may have different opinions, of course.

i think the only tmp directory that should be autocleaned is /tmp as
it is now.  having the default TMPDIR at or under /tmp is useful for
both users and admins.  users don't have to manually clean out random
cruft that accumulates, and admins don't have to nag users to clean it
up.  $HOME should never ever be touched with autocleaners, i have a
$HOME/tmp but i do NOT use it the way i use /tmp.  (TMPDIR is not set
there)

> You need to chmod as well.  I don't think this small program deserves
> a .deb all by itself, so if it could go into wherever applicable
> (base-files?) and /etc/profile (and other initialization scripts could
> be modified to set $TMP and $TMPDIR to /tmp/user/`id -u`.
> Additionally,

your program seems to be responsible for creating /tmp/user, i think
/tmp/user should be created at boot after /tmp is wiped, this way it
can be created 1775 root.tmp and the helper only need be setgid tmp
instead of setuid root.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/