Re: RFC: Central version control for Debian

Junichi Uekawa (2001-02-02 02:52:58 +0900) :

> One catch would be the fact that this would cause an overhead for
> the maintainers for the packages moved to cvs in terms of network
> load.

  Yes, and for the server too.  I'm not aware of a distributed CVS, so
everything comes to and from one server.  Compare with the network of
hierrachical mirrors.

  On the other hand setting one server for write access and several
mirrors for read would cause problems, but probably nothing that some
scripts wouldn't fix.  Like, you do your checkout and updates on the
read-only server, and you must manually (read: scriptically) change
CVSROOT for commits.

  One could also imagine automagically starting a build process or an
upload or whatever on every commit of the Debian changelog.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

A lesson for you all: never fall in love during a total eclipse.
  -- Senex, in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum