Re: package pool and big Packages.gz file

    Sam> Andrew Stribblehill <a.d.stribblehill@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
    >> Doesn't gzip have a --rsync option, or somesuch? Apparently
    >> Andrew Tridgell (Samba, Rsync) has a patch to do this, but I
    >> don't know whether he passed it onto the gzip maintainers.

    Sam> I like the idea of having plugins for rsync to handle
    Sam> different kinds of data. So the gzip plugin will decompress
    Sam> the data, and the rsync algorithm can work on the
    Sam> decompressed data. Much better.

    >> (Apparently he's working on a --fuzzy flag for matching rsyncs
    >> between, say foo-1.0.deb and foo-1.1.deb. He says it should be
    >> called the --debian flag.)

    Sam> A deb plugin would be better. :)

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Although don't get the two issues confused:

1. difference in filename.
2. format of file.

Although, I guess in most cases the two will always be linked (eg.
choosing the best filename really depends on the format, as ideally
the most similar *.deb package should be used, and this means
implementing debian rules for comparing versions), will this always be
the case?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>