Re: package pool and big Packages.gz file

The only other possibility not yet proposed (?) would be to split the
packages file by section.

base-packages
games-packages
x11-packages
net-packages

Then a server that just doesn't do x11 or doesn't go games has no need to
keep up with available x11 or games packages.

                    ressu@uusikau
                    punki.fi             To:     debian-devel@lists.debian.org
                    (Sami                cc:     (bcc: Vince Mulhollon/Brookfield/Norlight)
                    Haahtinen)           Fax to:
                                         Subject:     Re: package pool and big Packages.gz file
                    01/04/2001
                    03:01 PM

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 03:02:15AM +0800, zhaoway wrote:
> my proposal to resolve big Packages.gz is through package
> pool system.
>
> add 36 or so new debian package, namely,
>
> [a-zA-Z0-1]-packages-gz_date_all.deb
>
> contents of each is quite obvious. ;-)
> and a virtual unstable-packages-gz depends on all of them. finished.
>
> apt-get update should deal with it....

how about diffs bethween dinstall runs?..

packages-010102-010103.gz
packages-010103-010104.gz
packages.gz

apt would download the changes after the last update, and merge these to
the
package file, if the file gets corrupted, it would attempt to do a full
update.

This wouldn't be a big difference in the load that the master-ftp has to
handle, atleast when some 7 of these would be stored at maximum.

Regards, Sami Haahtinen

--
every nerd knows how to enjoy the little things of life,
like: rm -rf windows