Re: console-tools vs kbd, fix listed in bug report?!

As pointed out to me, bug #71768 has a workaround to my problem listed
in it.  However, I find it quite appalling that a fix involving a one
character change to a source file, where the fix has been listed in
the bug report has not been pushed through, given its age.

The console-tools package has a huge number of bugs associated with
it, and given that it's a base package, that's not so good.

Is it possible for maintainers to share packages, perhaps?  Then these
small things can get sorted quicker.  Personally, I'd just love it if
the entire Debian core system was in CVS, with upstream updates being
merged in.  This would also give the advantage of being able to do
OpenBSD style fixing of code; eg, one person finds a particular type
of bad coding practice, looks for it and fixes it throughout the code
base, and mails the authors to let them know about that bad coding
practice.

Or perhaps the bug tracking system just needs some rework to be a bit
nicer.  I'm sure some people here have used Remedy's Action Response
System in a reasonably large environment, so why not pick it's best
features and stick them in; like some decent querying capabilities and
borrow some of its interface.  Stick in the ability to assign bugs to
other people.  Perhaps even a standalone client.  Maybe even get some
"customer service" going, and draw up some guidelines for how long it
should take for bugs to be responded to, etc.

Cheers,
Sam.

--
Sam Vilain, sam@vilain.net        WWW: http://sam.vilain.net/