Re: mailing-list mgmt (was: Re: bugs + rant + constructive criticism (long))

[ Thomas 'Mike' Michlmayr writes ]
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 10:43:05 -0800,
> Philip Brown <phil@bolthole.com> wrote:
> > So headers should be optimized for group discussion.
> > Replying to individuals is a secondary function.
>
> not at all. replying to individuals is an essentail function that is no
> less important than replying to the list. just because your MUA can't make
> the distinction without major help does not mean that everybody else with
> a capable MUA has to suffer.

You are distorting facts.
You are not talking about "capable MUA"s, you are talking about
"MUAs which happen to share the features I like".
Features which are not official standards like rfc822 is.

> > And finally, [rfc822] example A.3.3 EXPLICITLY shows that "reply-to" is
> > NOT exclusively for "who wrote the message". It is for
> > "Where do you want replies to normally go to"
>
> my ML-software do not have a builtin AI to determine where replies of a
> specific recipient should normally go.

Very funny. But not relevant.

The primary purpose of mailing lists like debian-devel, is for discussion
ON THE LIST. This is implicitly a part of the debian
Developer's Reference, about "Dont Cc people on the mailing list unless
they specifically ask for one".
It also explicitly says, "Anyone who posts to a mailing list should read it
to see the responses."
[http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/developers-reference/ch-servers.html#s-mailing-lists]

Therefore, replies, aka "responses" to email on debian-devel should
"normally go" to the list.