Re: bugs + rant + constructive criticism (long)

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 12:11:21PM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
> [ Miles Bader writes ]
> > phil@bolthole.com (Philip Brown) writes:
> > > As opposed to the current scheme, which also requires "annoying manual
> > > editing of addresses" to reply to the list, if your mailreader does the
> > > reasonable thing and assumes you want to reply to the original sender of
> > > the message, in liu of a reply-to header.
> >
> > Only if you're using a MUA too old or disfunctional to be worth discussing.
> >
> > All reasonable mail readers support at least `reply to sender' and
> > `followup'/`wide-reply' commands, and the latter should do what you want.
>
> I guess YOUR mailreader is "too old or disfunctional to be worth
> discussing"
> > I did not request you to Cc me.
> But you replied to the list AND me.

Some headers from your mail:
: To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
: Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:11:21 -0800 (PST)
: From: phil@bolthole.com (Philip Brown)

Since you've set the "Reply-To:" header, wouldn't the reasonable person
expect that you'd like a reply as well as the list?  If that's not
what you want, then set headers like "Mail-Copies-To: never" or
"Mail-Followup-To:" with the appropriate address(es).

Since this doesn't seem to be what you want I've omitted the Cc: in
this case.

> The issue is how to simplify a default action of
> "reply to the list, and ONLY the list"

We've already got that, thanks.

> Presumably your own mailreader does not have a single key for
> "reply to debian-devel, not to original sender" function, which is why you
> chose the alternative of "reply to all".
> Which is NOT desirable.
>
> > By making Reply-To: point to the list, you make these two different
> > commands do the same thing, thus depriving the user of the choice.
>
> There is NO "depriving of choice".

Phil, you miss the point.  Please note that you set your "Reply-To:"
header.  Now please imagine a scenario where you can't control your
"From:" address (you're at work possibly?): it's set to
"phil@fascist.job.com"  and you definitely DO NOT want replies to come
to your work address (perhaps there's a fascist regime or something).
So, you set your "Reply-To:" header to your favorite account:
"phil@bolthole.com".  Cool - now when people reply they'll be sending
to the right address!  Oh, but wait, that damn list you're subscribed
to rewrites the "Reply-To:" header for its own purposes!  Now you're
going to get a bunch of email going exactly where you don't want it:
you've been deprived of your right to set an email header.

This has been discussed a million times.  The debian- lists will not
start setting "Reply-To:" just because you say they should.  If you
don't like that, that's life I guess.  I personally hate subscribing
to lists which do set "Reply-To:" but that doesn't give me the right
to bitch about it for days on end wasting everyone's time.

Have a nice day,

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.