Re: bugs + rant + constructive criticism (long)

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 08:53:23AM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 11:06:18PM -0800, Erik Hollensbe wrote:
> > And why are packages being REMOVED (lib-pg-perl for example) when I dist
> > upgrade?
>
> Because thats what dist- stands for. If you dont want to remove conflicting
> or sperseeded packages, then dont use dist-upgrade but upgrade.
>
> > apt-get and it's kin need more simple getopt-style flags that allow
> > overriding of certain things, mainly conflicts. Also, an option to
> > actually view what's being upgraded before you download 250 packages that
> > are only going to break your system would be nice as well.
>
> you mean -u?
>
> i use "apt-get -ufm".
>
> But I agree whith you, that essential packages like perl should be checked a
> bit more before they shoot you in the foot, but those days are gone! since
> they wont pass unstable->testing anymore. So, just dont run 'sid' but woody
> and you are fine.
This worries me a little.  With testing now in, it seems that packages will
only get 1% of the testing they used to before going into a "semi-stable" set
of packages.  Personaly i think that if your competent enough to fix your own
system, you should consider following sid to help in the testing.  So many people
are using testing instead of sid i'm just a little afraid its not going to get
much testing at all.