How to put files at a location determined at install-time.

 Lo all,

Actually, I'm new here; this is my first post. I used to be a Debian-user only, but lately, I started to do some package development. With that, I ran in trouble. I lurked a bit on this mailing list and searched at http://lists.debian.org/search.html; also, I tried to find some guru's at irc.debian.org/#debian, but with no success, so therefore I am asking here. Hopefully my question ain't stupid. ;-)

What I am trying to build are a couple of packages (let's call one of these mydata.deb) containing just ordinary files, related to a specific application. All these packages Depend on a generic configuration package. This configuration package determines the final location of these ordinary files by asking the user via debconf. (note: the fact that I'm using a config-package for that is irrelevant; this info could also be within an /etc-file. It is just an idea.)

So, to be more precise: debconf asks the user for that location, and puts it in the debconf-database at myapp/thelocation. Now, when installing mydata.deb, it should read the myapp/thelocation variable and install the files from within mydata.deb at that specific location.

The main question is: is it possible and if so, how to do it?

Thanks a lot,

Marc.