Bug 99208

Please take a look at #99208 in the BTS, and give me some advice.

The complaint is that there are a bunch of files in xpuzzles that
needed to be marked conffiles, but were not.  Then, when that was
fixed, the result was that a whole bunch of files now got marked as
conffiles, and the result was that a bunch of user verifications
becomes necessary the first time someone upgrades.

It seems to me that this is inherent in the task (as mentioned in
the BTS log by the previous maintainer).  Accordingly, I think I
should just close the bug.

But: is there a way to prevent the annoyance now?

And: was there a way to prevent it in the first place (even if it's
too late now)?

Thomas