Re: Preparing a Proposal: 3 DD needed for every NEW package

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 01:44:38PM +0200, Juha J?ykk? wrote:
> > This doesn't sound too bad to me, _but_ a better report might be to
> > set up some sort of automatic system that sends out email to all
> > maintainers at 1 month intervals [or something like that]. If
> > someone doesn't respond to 2 or 3, then they are marked inactive and
> > someone, preferable a human, verifies that the maintainer is not
> > active anymore and orphans all of his/her packages... This would
> > eliminate the unmaintained problem...
>
>   This could be nice... I might even volunteer for setting up
> something like that - given the authority, of course: orphaning other
> people's packages must be done responsibly...
>   This email that would be sent would be bug-list (or a subset
> thereof), right? A simple "Are you alive?" Would be quite annoying...
> Of course, a bug-list once a month would be annoying to active
> developers, too. Would it be possible to exclude from getting the email
> those maintainers who have uploaded a new version during the last,
> say, 3 months? This, of course, would still unnecessarily burden
> maintainers of packages which are more or less dead upstream and do
> not have any (important) bugs... We do not want to annoy maintainers,
> either... Of course, skipping maintainers of packages with no important
> bugs could help, too. This would be easy to implement, too.

This might actually work :)

A script that checks:
  * not uploaded anything in last 3 months?
  * not bug free? I would say any bugs here that are not tagged and less
than important should be included as well.
  * not uploaded anything in last year?

These should be traversed in that order, like a C AND statement so "bug
free" packages still get a reminder at least once a year -- manytimes
these might be not very used packages so not too many people complain.