at least 260 packages broken on arm, powerpc and s390 due to wrong assumption on char signedness

Hi,
I had recently a runtime problem on s390 with a package that compiled fine.
After a while I figured out that it was caused by the fact that the package
owner assumes that a char is signed per default. This is _not_ true on

arm
powerpc
s390

Since in some cases this wrong assumption results in a warning

comparison is always true due to limited range of data type
or
comparison is always false due to limited range of data type

I grepped my archived build logs and found that all packages below have got
this problem. Since I have currently not the time to write a bug report for
each I would appreciate if the respective owner could look into the problem.
A solution is to declare the datatype explicitly as signed char or compile
using the option -fsigned-char.

The build logs can be found at http://buildd.debian.org/ .

Thanks,
Gerhard