Fidonet support on dial-in

How popular is Fidonet support in Debian?

Of the people who use it, is it most desired to have a Fido program be
spawned with stdin/stdout/stderr pointing to a serial port or is it more
desired that the Fido software be accessed by rsh/ssh connection to a Fido
server machine?

I'm going to add Fido support to Portslave soon.  I am wondering whether I
should enable the feature in the Debian package, and how exactly I should
make it work.

Please reply to this message privately as most people on the list won't be
interested.