Re: usb driver and probe function (is never called)

On Monday 24 December 2001 13:32, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   I am trying to make the USB work on my debian unstable system, using
> kernel 2.4.14 and it just doesn't work. the specific problem is that the
> function 'probe' (specified when registering driver) is NEVER called and
> therefore driver doesn't manage any usb devices. as far as I can tell
> the system is set up correctly, see below for modules, kernel settings
> etc.

have you also printk-mined another usb-driver ? I remember a bit from hacking
the pegasus-driver. There you had to register the usb-driver with a set of
vendor/device-IDs so the usb-core could find the proper driver without asking
_every_ driver to handle the device. However, that was with 2.2.18 or so.

>   so far I have tried the sample usb driver from linux device driver,
> 2nd edition (o'reilly) and personal jukebox (www.pjbox.com) drivers,
> both behave in exactly the same way - I get a message in syslog that the
> driver was registered and that's it, the message from probe function is
> never printed and the driver doesn't work (cat says No such device)

If it is available on paper, it isn't up to date, especially not with
2.4.something :-)

> Dec 22 01:46:55 localhost kernel: hub.c: port 1 connection change
> Dec 22 01:46:55 localhost kernel: hub.c: port 1, portstatus 301, change
> 1, 1.5 Mb/s
> Dec 22 01:46:55 localhost kernel: hub.c: port 1, portstatus 300, change
> 0, 1.5 Mb/s

I use USB but have neither 'portstatus' nor 'connection change' in my kernel
logs. On thing I would ask you to do is to try eg a mouse that is known to
work or something like that. Just to see that it is the driver, not the setup.

>   lsusb (usbview show the same info) output:
>
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
[snip]
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
[snap]
EOF ? Whether your device is handled by any driver or not, it should appear
in here! Try another device and see if that gives you anything.

uli