Re: usb driver and probe function (is never called)

Mark Brown wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 04:32:08AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
>
> >   any ideas? TIA
>
> If the device isn't showing up in lsusb and so on you've got bigger
> problems than finding a driver for it.  Until you can get the system to
> talk to it as a generic USB device (just showing up in the "what USB
> devices are there" output) a driver is going to have a hard time doing
> anything useful with it.

  that makes sense, that's probably why probe is never called (the
system doesn't know about device so it doesn't see a need to call
probe). however, I have no idea what to do - I followed all the steps
from the docs I've found, none of them talk about this particular
sitation.

  am I missing some module? some alias in /etc/modules.conf? some device
file in /dev?

 I have:

jojda:/home/erik# lsmod |grep usb
usb-uhci               20932   0  (unused)
usbcore                50848   1  [cpqpjb usb-uhci]

  in /etc/modules.conf:

alias char-major-10-176 cpqpjb

  I am quite sure I need uhci since that's what lspci says:

jojda:/home/erik# lspci|grep -i usb
00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 16)
00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 16)

  I don't even know where to start looking... is it possible that
usb-uhci just doesn't work and that I need the alternative uhci support
(JE)?

	erik