Re: pre-dependency for fetchmail, fetchmail-ssl

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 07:49:10PM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 08:51:51AM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> > > So you can never have two packages that depend on each other?
> >
> > Correct.
>
> Isn't there this loop break hack in dpkg to allow for that? Not that
> I would suggest having two packages depend on each other... :)

Actually a number of packages already have this.  For example, libfoo
depending on libfoo-runtime, while libfoo-runtime depends on libfoo.
Unfortunately I didn't have the tools to find an example with which
to prove Adam wrong, but I do remember a FAQ about such a situation,
where people were told to upgrade by installing both packages in one
dpkg invocation.  Apt also has an algorithm for breaking such cycles.

--
Richard Braakman
Will write free software for money.