be my own official primary debian source

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 04:44:34PM -0500, mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:
> There's nothing mysterious about creating your own APT archive.  See
> the manual file for 'apt-ftparchive' to create Packages and Sources files.

Seeing as how sid uses the debian/dists/pool tree structure,
I think this would be a good thing to mimic.  However,
apt-ftparchive doesn't grok it.

I created a /var/www/debian/dists/pool/ and some subdirs and
copied my .debs into them and tried various contortions of apt-ftparchive
and dpkg-scanpackages and nothing happens.

What I really want to know, is what script is run on the official
mirrors that parses the pool directories and generates
the Packages and Release files all on one go.
Actually, not even the official mirrors, but the server that is
mirrored.  I just want to "apt-get install"
the package that gives me the capability to be my own official debian
primary source.

> As for the Release file, it is absurdly simple to create by hand.  Copy

Surely the debian offical mirror maintainers don't do this every time
they want to regenerate these files.  Doesn't something
already exist so I don't waste time chasing bugs or worse
having a wheel that won't fit the new axles that are coming out
next week.

> the modification, you may want to consult information on how to conduct
> 'pinning' so that APT chooses which version of the package you want based

Yes , pinning is a nice feature.

Regards,

Peter