Re: design issues in debian packages

    Russell> Sending lots of mail is bad.  For small end-user systems
    Russell> such as Brian's there is no guarantee that mail will be
    Russell> read before the disk fills up (lots of people don't read
    Russell> mail to root).

I was getting far too much mail sent to root to be able to keep up (I
think about 8-9 messages a day). Too many E-Mails increases the
chances of me missing something important. Even worse, is E-Mails
which don't get E-Mailed to root, but fill up valuable disk space
instead[1].  Cricket isn't the only offender, others include news
(sends daily reports to usenet). I think I once had problems with
emails to "list" (maybe when I had SmartList installed).

One big killer was my scripts which call modlogan - modlogan has a
special capability of finding log file entries it doesn't understand,
and making a big fuss about it.  I have since redirected all output to
/dev/null (although I wonder how much I can really trust modlogan as a
result).

Fortunately, I have got back to 4 E-Mails a day:

fwanalog - have sent bug #125761.

news - it is not likely I will notice when it indicates a major
problem (like throttling due to lack of disk space), due to the number
of E-Mails I receive.

calamaris - I want this report

john - sends me daily E-Mails like:

-- BEGIN