Re: design issues in debian packages

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 08:33:32AM -0800, Dave Carrigan wrote:

> Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net> writes:
>
> > That would hide errors. The proper solution which current packages iirc
> > is to set the MAILTO variable in the crontab to root.
>
> The real problem is that cricket seems to grep for errors in the log and
> mail them out on every run. So, for example, if it failed to collect a
> sample from some system because said system was down for 2 minutes, then
> on every subsequent collection attempt cricket will send the message about
> the failed collection. This will happen until the log file is rotated.
> It's a bug, but I just haven't got irritated enough yet to a) fix it and
> b) file a patch report.

It's a fixed bug.  It was fixed a week ago, but it wasn't uploaded until
yesterday because I thought that I had done it already until someone sent me
mail about it.

Cricket does this because the upstream version, by default, does its own log
rotation, which creates a separate file for each run of the collector.
After this file is written, it reopens it and scans through it for errors.

In the Debian package, I use a more standard logging scheme, where a single
logfile is written until it is rotated according to a logrotate
configuration.

At any rate, it is fixed in 1.0.3-6.

--
 - mdz