Re: package lists for older machines

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 09:15:58PM +0100, Erich Schubert wrote:
> BTW: What about a packages.gz stripped off it's Descriptions? For people
> with access to other machines running debian, this could be interesting.

> How is the current state with the translated packages.gz files?
> I'm already using some german mirror providing the translated
> descriptions; is there some decision how this will be managed on the
> mirrors? As i understand there is not yet a policy for including
> translated descriptions in packages; what is the current state btw?

the translated Packages files are not a solution. This is only a hack
and a first step to use the translated description with apt and all the
other tools.

We need support in apt, dpkg, etc. and maybe we should stripped off the
descriptions and the translations from the Packages file and make own
Descriptions-XX (XX is en, fr, de, nl, ja, ...) files.

We should help the dpkg and apt developer with some conceptions. See
also the old mails in debian-devel...

and yes, some ftp.*.debian.org mirrors have the translated Packages
files. I ask some times ftp-master.debian.org. But the ftpmaster never
found some friends... See ftp.de.debian.org/debian-ddtp/ ...

We put it on ddtp.debian.org::debian-ddtp as a rsyncable dir. You can
get it.

Maybe I should make a project report with all news...

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
"Das ist halt der Unterschied: Unix ist ein Betriebssystem mit Tradition,