Re: svgalib and SUID

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 09:35:37AM -0500, Steaphan Greene wrote:
> -If this program must be SUID root, how do I "register" it so it is
>  known to be kosher with the system (I have seen conflicting docs on
>  this one, so I am not sure).

Hmm.  Normally, you just include it in the package with the suid bit
set, and the admin can use dpkg-statoverride to change it.  If the
program is useful even without suid, then I suggest shipping it without.

However, has anyone reviewed this program for security?  A new suid root
program should be looked at by several pairs of eyes.  And even then it's
not a good idea :-)

--
Richard Braakman
Will write free software for money.