Re: Making mutt more friendly towards site customizations

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 06:46:59PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> KORN Andras wrote:
> > the point is that needless manual labour is required to accomodate
> > the changes even though a very simple way exists to avoid this, if
> > only the maintainer would implement it.

> Hmm, I'm not sure about the "manual" thing:

> #!/bin/sh
> if ! grep ^source /etc/Muttrc > /dev/null ; then
>   echo source /etc/Muttrc.local >> /etc/Muttrc
> fi

Indeed, there is a very good reason why the administrator should do
this, instead of the package maintainer.  The package maintainer cannot
be sure the local administrator's Muttrc.local file will work well
together with the defaults that he ships:  the local admin may make many
assumptions about the contents of /etc/Muttrc that could cause mutt to
fail in weird ways if those contents were changed.  It's much better to
force the local admin to add his own 'source' line to the config file,
so that dpkg's existing conffile handling *knows* that there's been a
change and can alert the administrator.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer