Re: behaviour of -doc packages

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 04:36:08PM +0100, Nicolas Boullis wrote:
> I was wondering where -doc packages should put their documentation
> files. Should the foo-doc package put them in /usr/share/doc/foo/ or in
> /usr/share/doc/foo-doc/?

I would prefer it if they did both; that is, /usr/share/doc/foo-doc is a
symlink to /usr/share/doc/foo and the docs are installed in
/usr/share/doc/foo. This is a little more delicate to set up but is
least confusing for users (since policy requires
/usr/share/doc/foo-doc/copyright and /usr/share/doc/foo-doc/changelog*
to exist anyway).

Some of my multi-binary packages do this (e.g. groff), and it works
well, although the one -doc package I have doesn't do it yet.