Re: Unofficial Debian 'testing' FAQ (was Re: Packages in queue for woody?)

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 12:48:54PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   One thing I've encountered is problems due to arch-independent
> packages.  Specifically, I had some situations where (AIUI) arch-independent
> packages were depending on arch-dependent packages, and they couldn't be
> moved to testing because of that.

OK.  I don't know the answer to this.  Perhaps someone could comment
on this attempt at a summary:

Q) Why is it sometimes hard to get Architecture: all packages into
testing?

A) If the Architecture: all package is to be installed, it must be
possible to satisfy its dependencies on *all* architectures. If it
depends on certain packages which only compile on a limited set of
debian's architectures, then it can't do that.

Your alternatives are either to make the package Architecture: any
(which wastes archive space) or weaken the Depends: (if you think that
is appropriate).

Jules