Re: apache non-free?

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> It does matter. If "permission" has to be asked by each person who uses
> the source, then it is not DFSG compatible (nor is it compatible with
> even the GPL).

But permission doesn't have to be requested by each person, that's the
point.  If the license means that we have to ask permission to *name*
it Apache, then we can do that, and we can even do it on behalf of all
our users.

But there is no restriction at all on making and distributing the
modifications; restrictions merely on the name you apply do not
impinge the DFSG.