Re: jabber.deb

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 09:53:23AM +0100, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 10:39:24AM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 09:57:29AM +0100, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> > > I'm running the ICQ, MSN, AIM & Yahoo transports on my server so I'll
> > > package any of these that no one else grabs. However I'm wondering about
> > > whether there'll be a uniform method of adding a new transport to the
> > > server or if the onus will be on the user to do the configuration?
> >
> > Kind of /etc/jabberd/jabber-xml.d/ would be nice, eh?
>
> That would be excellent.

In fact, after thinking about it, if you put a file in here for each
server you wanted to run then it'd be really easy to drop in new
transports and the main jabber init.d script could start it.

Scan for *.xml in /etc/jabberd/ and start a server for each one or
similar. Then (for example) the ICQ transport can just drop icq.xml in
and the init.d script DTRT.

> Any idea when a package with the appropriate bits for transport building
> (jabberd.h, lib/lib.h & platform-specifics IIRC) will be available?

This still hasn't happened, though bug #97576 has been open for 203 days
now. In fact there's been an new upstream version of Jabber (1.4.1) for
ages as well.

Bernd, are you still actively maintaining jabber? Not having a
jabber-dev package (or even jabberd.h in the main deb) is still holding
up transports.

J.

--
] http://www.earth.li/~noodles/ []   I reckon that me and you should   [